Thursday, May 31, 2012

Meet you my good friends at the battle front


They all came in with the usual feeling; they always can’t hide the feeling of uncertainty. Some were teenagers, others were pregnant mothers, and others were adults that did not come with their spouses. I was really impressed with some few clients that came in as couples. Anyways, to face the truth, HIV is such a nightmare. While I assisted with the HIV testing and counseling services at Kasonga health center last week, I was glad that all the twenty plus clients we tested were negative. Voluntary counseling and testing (VCT) services have been impressive in the fight against HIV/AIDS in Uganda. In fact, linking HIV patients to quality care and treatment services has been a major attribute by VCT program and this factor is an important consideration for more clients to seek these services according to F.Nuwaha et.al., (2002). Early this month, using the data collected and stored in the health centers’ VCT record books, I conducted an analysis to find out if there are any things to improve about the program. I analyzed a data sample of 1,177 clients from those had come to test for HIV between 2011 and May 2012. I generated a snap shot of the sex, age and sero type composition of VCT clients in Kyangwali refugee settlement. This was to address the 3 broad questions in mind which were to do with; the extent to which the VCT services are being utilized, the groups of clients that seem to be at greater risk or vulnerability, and on which initiatives to strengthen or introduce within the HIV prevention, care and treatment program. 

Much as the general HIV burden among these clients was low (2.89%), it was quite sad that the vibrant young age group of clients between 19-30 years contributed nearly half of this burden. In fact, out of 743 VCT clients that were in the age bracket of 1 to 30 years, 20 of them (2.69%) were found HIV positive. Younger people are increasingly succumbing to the HIV pandemic. I bitterly remember my eyes falling upon many 18s, 19s and 20s in the age columns while I randomly viewed ART clinic records at Kituti health center. Is it not worrisome that HIV is soon pitching its tent among the younger generation? Besides the sexual transmission route, Mother to Child Transmission (MTCT) has registered its spot with nearly 22% contribution to 100,000 new annual infections in Uganda according to Uganda Aids Commission (UAC). MTCT could be explanatory for the 4.7% age specific HIV rate among the 42 VCT clients that were 10 years and below from my study. 

It is really saddening to imagine how many dreams, energy, talent, skills… (list endless) are at stake due to the HIV scourge. In fact, the Modes of Transmission study predicts more new infections to occur among the persons in mutually monogamous relations that are in the age bracket of 15-49 years. The impact on general health and development of our communities is really immense. I remember reading somewhere that in the early 1980s, when this new HIV scourge had hit Uganda, the government had resorted to ‘burying head in sand’, shying away from spreading the ugly truth on HIV transmission as being majorly by sexual intercourse. However, when the new government came out openly and strong on mass awareness on HIV, we saw prevalence and case fatality rates dropping tremendously.

While reflecting on my role in addressing HIV, especially among the young generations, I appreciated the fact that the fight starts with me. The “True Manhood” campaign puts it right, ‘Be in charge of your life by protecting yourself and your partner from HIV.’ I was then proud and happy with my current work experiences of serving communities to protect and better their lives with the fight against HIV being priority in many of interventions. I however need to up this game by doing much more in reaching out to communities, friends and strangers through various channels. Living an exemplary life is definitely topping my list of planned action. I pause with a global call upon everybody to join the fight against the HIV pandemic. Endowed with a vast friends’ network on my facebook account, I take this opportunity to post the True Manhood campaign message, ‘Be in charge of your life by protecting yourself and your partner from HIV’. I hope to meet you my good friends at the battle front!

No comments:

Post a Comment